I’ve recently been challenged by a friend to state my purpose. This is a really interesting question to ask yourself. What is your purpose? Do you know? Are you able to articulate it to others? Are the things you do in line with this purpose? What outcome do you expect from the actions you have made? I had to pause because I couldn’t state my purpose.
I know what I am doing and what outcomes I expect, but why am I doing this? I know what I am Doing, but who am I Being? What drives me? What makes me tick?
Here is the exercise I’ve come up with to explore my purpose:
- Who am I? What makes me, Me?
- What do I do with myself? What do I love and not love?
- What have I done that I feel good about? What am I proud of?
- What are my values and principles? What do I believe in?
- Based on the above, what is my purpose?
I’ve been through this exercise before, but I believe that my purpose has changed. It must be time to do it again!